UCLA Payroll Services
A guide for departments to use when adding or changing employee records on the Employee Data Base (EDB).
EDB MANUAL, SECTION B - GENERAL INFORMATION
B9.0 EDB INTERCAMPUS TRANSFERS
When an employee transfers without a break in service, and for one (1) year or more, from one UC campus to another, the action is termed an Intercampus Transfer. Because there is no electronic transfer of EDB records possible between most campuses at this time, special procedures must be followed to ensure that, in terms of taxes, benefits and entitlements, the process of transferring to a new position at another campus should be seamless for the employee. When transferring between UCLA, UCOP or UC Merced, please contact Payroll Services Hotline for instructions.
B9.1 Incoming Transfers from another UC
campus to UCLA
When an employee is coming to UCLA, UCOP or UC Merced
from another campus or Laboratory, ask the employee to bring a Separation IDOC
and Benefits IDOC from the previous location. Fax or mail copies of
those IDOC's to Payroll Services, Attention: Intercampus Transfer
Coordinator. The Separation IDOC, or a copy of the IGEN Screen, will
confirm whether there is a break-in-service. If there is NO
break-in-service, then the EDB Preparer should do the following:
- Set up the employee in the EDB as a New Hire.
- On the EEID Screen, enter the action code that best
describes whether the transfer is from Systemwide (e.g., the Office of the
President Action Code 35),
from a DOE Laboratory (e.g., Lawrence Livermore Lab - Action Code 36), from
a UC medical center (Action Code 51) or from another campus (Action Code
- On the EPER Screen, the Original Date of Hire field should be filled with the employee's
initial hire date in the UC system. This information is found on
the Separation IDOC or IGEN screen copy received from the other campus.
- On EPER Screen, the Date of Hire field should be filled with the employee's most recent date of hire at the previous campus because the employee does not have a break in service in moving between campuses. This information is found on the Separation IDOC or IGEN screen copy received from the other campus.
- When the transaction is completed, include in the
comments in the PAN notification the campus or Laboratory from which
the employee transferred and the effective date of the transfer.
This information will assist Payroll Services in requesting the transfer of
the employee's payroll records from the other campus, including verification
of sick leave and vacation balances.
Add Payroll Notification
PPPAY) as an additional recipient of the PAN when processing the New Hire
bundle. Note in the comments the name of the campus the employee is transferring from and the start date. (Payroll Services requires this notification so that it can request the employee's payroll records from the previous campus.
Payroll Services will verify the employee's transferable sick leave and
vacation balances. Once the Intercampus Coordinator receives this
information, an email with all the necessary instructions will be forwarded
to the departmental personnel representative for any additional updates.)
NOTE: Do not complete fields on the EPD2 Screen that are related to
Employment Service Credit. These fields are reserved for use by
Central Offices, i.e., Payroll Services, Campus and HealthCare Human
- The Benefits IDOC contains crucial
information which will be used by Payroll Services and your central benefits
office. The employee's benefits will be entered by the Central
- Incoming transfers DO NOT complete a new I-9 Form and Oath & Patent Form at UCLA. The Intercampus Transfer Coordinator will obtain a copy of the original I-9 Form and Oath & Patent Agreement that was signed by the employee at the previous campus for our records.
- If the transferring employee had a Career Appointment or
a Limited Appointment at the former campus and/or will have a Limited
Appointment at UCLA, it is essential to determine the employee's accrual of
Hours Toward Benefits Eligibility. The amount accumulated in the last
twelve months is transferable between campuses
even if there is a break in service. The IHR2 Screen is also
needed from the former campus in such cases. For questions regarding
eligibility status, contact the appropriate Human Resources office.
B9.2 Outgoing Transfers from UCLA to another UC
- For outgoing transfers from UCLA to another campus,
the department should separate the employee in the EDB using the Separation
On the ESEP Screen, use the following codes:
- For the Reason Code: enter IT (Inter-location Transfer with no
break in service).
- For the Destination Code: enter D (DOE Laboratories) or K (State
- The Future Institution Code is needed for Academic employees only:
enter the appropriate code (e.g., UC Berkeley is NBB; UC Davis is NBX; and
UC San Diego is NBG).
- For the Intercampus Transfer Code: enter 21, 35, 36, or 51.
The information on the ESEP Screen will assist Payroll
Services in transferring the employee's payroll records to the other campus.
For additional information on the Separation bundle, refer to
- Process any necessary vacation and sick leave hour
usage adjustments (VAC, SKL, CTO, etc.) to the employee's leave balance on the
appropriate Payroll Time Reporting screen so that the balances the employee
has at the time of transfer are correct. The hours on the PAN
notification of the Separation bundle see the following, and the hours on the
EDB IHRS Screen should match. See
PTR Manual, Section F2.2 for more information regarding vacation and
sick leave balances.
NOTE: When calculating the final leave totals, include the totals from the last accrual date. If the employee is transferring from a position that accrues vacation to a non-vacation-accruing position, the employee's vacation balance must be paid out. This terminal vacation pay can be processed with the employee's regular earnings. Sick leave hours may be transferred between a campus and a Laboratory. The transfer will be made by the Intercampus Coordinator.
- If the employee's mailing address will be changing,
process the address change on the EADD Screen.
- At the PAN comments screen, be sure to indicate
in the comments the campus to which the employee is transferring, the
effective date of the transfer and the actual vacation and sick leave balances
to which the employee is entitled through the last day on pay and which must
be transferred to the new campus. Add Payroll Notification
PPPAY) as an additional recipient of the PAN when processing the Separation
- Send to the new campus a copy of the Separation IDOC
or IGEN Screen, with the separation date listed, and a copy of the Benefits
- The Intercampus Coordinator will forward the leave
totals and all other necessary documents to the new campus.
- No separation check or rush check should be
requested when an employee is transferring permanently to another UC campus. Employees who transfer to another UC campus are continuing their employment with the University of California. On the employee's next following regular pay day, the employee will receive pay from UCLA for any amount due from UCLA and pay from the new campus for the balance of the pay period.